Stupid question? I don’t think so. The basic truth is “nobody, besides the people from Google know how exactly ranking works”. All the SEO experts are just guessing. Don’t take me wrong. There many good ones out there but the majority is just guessing. Just like players in online casino are guessing the outcome, so are the SEO experts.
SEO, Search Enginge Optimization, means search engine optimization in German and means that technology and content on a website tries to make their content on specific search terms visible to search engines like Google.
What SEO really means, how search engine optimization works and why SEO is so extremely important, I explain in this post.
What is SEO? A definition
Let’s take a look at the definition of Wikipedia definition from Wikipedia to SEO:
“Search Engine Optimization (SEO) refers to actions designed to make content such as web pages, videos and images rank higher in organic search engine rankings in unpaid search results (natural listings). By deliberately influencing the search engine placement of, for example, videos on the platform YouTube or websites on Google, they can be better listed and generate new reach. “Wikipedia
So SEO are all the measures with which you place your content better in the search results of the various search engines. There are very different approaches – particularly important are the three areas of technology, content and awareness.
In the field of technology, one tries to do everything that a search engine can capture content well and classify it as safe and easy to read for visitors.
The content decides whether search engines classify you as relevant for specific search terms. This is all about quality.
In terms of quality, external links pointing to content are still an important indicator.
So SEO bundles several areas of online marketing and is thus an overarching discipline.
Search engine optimization is mainly about Google today. But there are other forms of search engine optimization. Even YouTube is a search engine, this is about just spreading videos. A relatively new form of SEO deals completely with Amazon. Here, Amazon Marketplace retailers are trying to top their search results on Amazon customers. There are some high competitive markets such as casino games or finance. You have to do better to get at least some traffic. Elsewhere it is much easier.
In this article, I mainly write about the optimization of your website content for Google.
Why SEO? Objectives of search engine optimization
The goal of SEO is clear: traffic for your website. Again and again, I experience a great misunderstanding here and many believe that it is enough to be found under their name.
At Google, people enter search terms and now also entire sentences for searching. Is it really enough for you to be found only when users explicitly search for you or your brand?
SEO becomes really exciting when you achieve something completely different. Most people turn to Google for a specific need or question. They want answers and solutions and often have neither a concrete product nor a brand in their heads. These users need to pick it up.
- Photographers should be found when customers search for “wedding photographer in the city”, but also for terms such as “wedding photography ideas” or “wedding reportage”.
- A hairdresser should be displayed as a local search result when users search for “summer hairstyles” or “hairdressing trends” or just for “hairstyle trendsetting”.
- Also in politics, SEO is very helpful and effective. Here it is just as little if a party or a politician can only be found on Google, if they search directly for them.
- Parents who have been looking for a kindergarten on-site for some time are sure to be open to a blog post in which a politician explains his plans and goals on the subject in the city.
- Residents of a road to be renewed may be looking to Google for site information – and they may also click on a post where a local party explains why certain decisions on that street have been made.
- Citizens rarely look for a party’s program – but often for specific topics such as environmental protection, health, traffic jams, security, schools, etc. With a good SEO strategy, marketing can be done right here!
What is the exact aim of SEO now?
The goal of an SEO strategy is to find the right people’s needs for your offer and rank them as high as possible on Google and other search engines. If you have managed this, you will continuously get traffic to your website – without having to spend money on advertising.
For this to work we have to achieve one thing above all else: We have to convince Google that our website – or a post on our site – is a relevant and good result for a particular search term.
How does SEO work?
I am always asked, “Can you set my website to appear on Google?”. Many apparently have the idea (or hope) that SEO is done in a few clicks. Unfortunately, SEO is much more complex.
Search engine optimization is always a mixture of technical as well as content-related tasks. A distinction is made above all between OnPage and OffPage optimization – that is, between all the tasks that are done on your own website and the tasks that have to be solved outside the website.
OnPage is all about what we can set, change and optimize ourselves on our own website – both the technology and the content.
At Technical SEO, the name says it all, about all technical issues of search engine optimization. Here, so to speak, the basis is laid down that Google can classify our content correctly and evaluates it as reputable, secure and readable. It should always keep the motivation of Google in mind. Actually, Google might not care if your website is optimized for mobile devices, how fast it loads or if it’s safe. But if Google keeps showing its users results on pages that load extremely slowly, can not be displayed on a mobile device, or even spread viruses, then Google users will not be satisfied with these results. As a result, they will use Google less. So Google has such a big focus on these questions.
However, it is also the task of Technical SEO to facilitate the work of Google and to present your website in a technical structure that Google can easily record and classify.
Some important aspects of Technical SEO are:
- Is the website safe?
- Does it use SSL encryption and switched to https?
- Can smartphones and tablets display the website clearly and correctly, is the site responsive?
- How fast can the page be loaded, how big is the dataset? Look at the speed test.
- Are there any scripts that Google can not read?
- How is the internal linking built, are there broken links?
- If 301 redirects are set up, if necessary, are 404 error messages avoided?
- Is there a clear semantic structure on the page – with matching headings and subheadings?
- Is the source code of the page error-free and as slim as possible?
- Is the metadata optimized and rich snippets created?
Content Marketing & Search Engine Optimization
Content marketing is the content-related part of search engine optimization. Google always asks what content is relevant to a search term. To create this relevance, the website must also have the appropriate content. In practical terms, when a user searches for “daycare” at Google, a site must clearly turn to daycare for Google to consider as a result.
So you should ask yourself what the right content for your goals and your offer are. Sometimes you have to think a little bit around the corner. Especially political websites and the offers of associations, churches and trade unions should deal with this question very thoroughly. In the end, you must always be aware that it is about collecting users on their Google searches.